Thursday, November 24, 2011

Wheatfield with Crows... and rakish 19th century self-portraiture?


Wheatfield with Crows. 1890.


Is there a subliminal image in Van Goghs famous Wheatfield with Crows? Lots of people believe they can see more than what is plain. What I see in this painting, as illustrated below, is Vincent's head lying on a pillow and a woman lying on top of him, using her arm as her own pillow. Vincent's head is on the right side of the painting, and the woman's on the left. Both Vincent and the woman appear to be happy and relaxed.

This 'hidden' image appears to me much more strongly than the literal interpretation of this work.  Take a look:


The outlines. Does that big cloud in the middle represent bandaging around his ear?


Brought to you by my expertise in MS Paint.



Self-Portrait with Bandaged Ear and Pipe. 1889.
Self-Portrait. 1887-88.



What do you see? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan,

    Yes, I can see the facial figures you see. If Vincent van Gogh purposely rendered those hidden figures, I would say only he can verify your discovery.

    Here is another way you can see much more of Vincent's subliminal images. In a dark room with sun glasses on, sit back some in your chair, squint your eyes and scan the painting. You will see mysterious facial images in the wheat fields and sky also.

    Thank you Bryan for sharing your discovery with me. I would like to mention to you also, When I first study a painting, I may not see anything. The next day I may or may not. Next week.. next Month... and it may take a few Months before the images reveal themselves.

    Kind regards and with a Hearty Handshake:)

    Dennis Pelliccia
    Sag Harbor, New York

    Facebook / Artist Dennis Pelliccia
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/lifeiaArt/#!/profile.php?id=100001657976115

    ReplyDelete